Helpful Hints for Couples
Here at Arthur Murray we specialize in teaching couples to dance.
Teaching couples is different from teaching individuals and requires special care.
Teachers are trained to make learning fun and easy, and you can help by remembering the following:
- Let your teacher do the teaching. This means avoid finding fault with each other which can be distracting.
- It’s not how many steps you know; it’s how you execute them. (You always notice good dancers by how they move, not by how many patterns they do.) Learning too many steps too soon results in bad habits and frustration at not executing them properly.
- In teaching couples, we have learned that men typically progress slower because they have more to do and tend to be more analytical or mechanical. Women, on the other hand, feel movement quicker and therefore, THE LADY MUST TRY TO BE PATIENT AND NOT EXPECT TOO MUCH TOO SOON.
- It’s important to keep your lessons close together, and more importantly to use them in close conjunction with group lessons and practice lessons. Ideally, each visit should be scheduled to include more than one activity. This will aid you in making speedy progress and gaining confidence in your dancing in a shorter period of time.
- Communicate with your teacher so that he or she will know what to teach you and the way you like to be taught. The more we know about your dance needs the better we can plan your lessons now and prepare your future program.
Reviews & Testimonials
See what others have to say about us!
Great place to over come shyness and learn a new hobby that brings you closer to people, despite the social distancing. Dance is a way to relate to others. This... read moreJana H.Christine T.
I was part of the AMDS - Federal Way family for quite some time until I moved out of state recently. The staff is wonderful and treat you like family.... read moreTenee B.
A warm and welcoming staff and student body. Not only can you learn to dance here, but you can also rack up some wonderful experiences at the many events offered... read moreSummer L.
I was always scared of the dance floor, but decided I needed to get over that. Arthur Murray took me from knowing nothing to dancing many styles and any music!... read morejohn
I was always scared of the dance floor, but decided I needed to get over that. Arthur Murray took me from knowing nothing to dancing many styles and any music!... read moreJohn M.