Helpful Hints for Couples
Here at Arthur Murray we specialize in teaching couples to dance.
Teaching couples is different from teaching individuals and requires special care.
Teachers are trained to make learning fun and easy, and you can help by remembering the following:
- Let your teacher do the teaching. This means avoid finding fault with each other which can be distracting.
- It’s not how many steps you know; it’s how you execute them. (You always notice good dancers by how they move, not by how many patterns they do.) Learning too many steps too soon results in bad habits and frustration at not executing them properly.
- In teaching couples, we have learned that men typically progress slower because they have more to do and tend to be more analytical or mechanical. Women, on the other hand, feel movement quicker and therefore, THE LADY MUST TRY TO BE PATIENT AND NOT EXPECT TOO MUCH TOO SOON.
- It’s important to keep your lessons close together, and more importantly to use them in close conjunction with group lessons and practice lessons. Ideally, each visit should be scheduled to include more than one activity. This will aid you in making speedy progress and gaining confidence in your dancing in a shorter period of time.
- Communicate with your teacher so that he or she will know what to teach you and the way you like to be taught. The more we know about your dance needs the better we can plan your lessons now and prepare your future program.
Reviews & Testimonials
See what others have to say about us!
I have been learning dance at Arthur Murray for more than six months now. It has been a very fulfilling experience. The staff is super talented, friendly and make sure... read moreShivank G.
Incredible fun! I have a great experience every time I walk into the studio. I highly recommend learning to dance with Arthur Murray.Mike R.
I joined Arthur Murray Dance Studio in Federal Way because I wanted to enhance my dancing and wanted to develop more confidence in myself. With the great staff I call... read moreMarichu V.
I have been dancing at Arthur Murray Federal Way for 5 1/2,years. It has changed my life for the better: less stress, more fun and joy in my life, get... read moreTerri C.
The staff at Arthur Murray Dance School of Federal Way is not only friendly but they willing want to help each student achieve the goals that they are striving to... read moreTandy T.